6 Myths About Public Speaking


6 Myths About Public Speaking




One thing I’ve learned in my life…

Don’t believe everything you hear.

It might be false. It might not be the truth. Probably, it is just an assumption or an unproven theory. It can be things that some people talk about, believing it is true which turns out not true at all.

Maybe it is just a myth.

There was a time in my life when I actually believed in myths. I’m not talking about Hercules, Poseidon or King Midas, even though their stories are pretty interesting. I’m referring to the myths of public speaking. Yes, public speaking is no exception to myths.

I was naive. I had no experience in public speaking back then. Only after I persistently deliver speeches that I realised some things I heard all these while are not entirely true. We tend to believe in myths because many people believe in them. Therefore we assumed that the myths are real. Sometimes, we are the ones who invented those myths ourselves. The right way to deal with this is to find out whether it is just a myth or not.

Here are 6 myths about public speaking that I wish to share with you.

Myth 1# Imagine Your Audience in their underwear/shorts

I’m sure you have heard this before. I don’t know where or how this myth started but listening to it always makes me laugh. I mean, seriously? 

This myth usually comes up when someone ask, “How to stop being nervous when I talk in front of people?”
Then somebody answer, “Oh easy. Just imagine your audience in their underwear”

I personally don’t think that by imagining your audience in such condition will help you to be less nervous. It just doesn’t make any sense. If you do that, I’m sure you will be smiling and giggling from the beginning of your speech until the end. If you are a person with vivid imagination, this so called method shall make you forget your speech…completely.

So what is the truth? How to stop being nervous when giving a speech? The answer is by practising your speech, preparing your speech and by delivering your speech. Everybody gets nervous when you have to stand in front of people to talk. All eyes are on you and they are waiting for you to say something. Scary isn’t it? I totally understand. But imagining your audience in their underwear is not going to help. Trust me.

Myth 2# you can be a Good Speaker Just by Reading about it


As much as I love you reading my blog, I have to tell you that the above statement is a myth. There is no way you will be a good speaker just by reading about public speaking. Reading will give you valuable information of course. No doubt about it. But in order to be good at delivering a speech, you need to be in action.

It is just like cooking. You can read books or blog about cooking to get recipes and pointers on how to cook. Still you will never know how to cook if you don’t actually do the cooking.

Public speaking is a skill just like cooking. Learning a skill requires an input and output. You plan and you implement. Then as time goes by, you will be better at it. That’s how it works. 

Myth 3# you have to be Dramatic during your Speech Delivery


Be dramatic! Give it tremendous wave of emotions! Be expressive!

Have you heard this before? Some people might be telling you to be animated to get your audience attention. Well, being dramatic and overly enthusiastic may not be suitable in every speech delivery. You may need to see what type of speech that you are delivering. It works well in storytelling, speech for children and stage performance but not for every type of speech delivery. 

I was involved in theatre for 4 years. It was one of the best times of my life. Theatre has thought me how to use my voice, eye contact and my gestures and how to display emotions. Honestly, the experience helps me a lot when I deliver my speech now. However, at first, I had some difficulties adjusting from acting to delivering a speech. There must be a balance somewhere in between.

Please take note that I’m not saying drama techniques do not work in speech presentation. It does work but there are certain ways to do it. I will explain further in my future blog ;)

What I want to point out here is you do not need to be dramatic or animated in all your speeches. You must not be overly dramatic when delivering your speech. For me, you should be talking to your audience when delivering a speech. It is not giving a stage performance. Sometimes when you give a speech in a more relax and friendly manner, surprisingly your audience will listen to you.

Myth 4# you need to throw away your accent to sound more professional

Where are you from? What language do you speak? What is your mother tongue? Do you have an accent when you speak?

I have a friend who joined a speech contest. She is a good speaker but she has Chinese accent. Well, of course she does because she is a Chinese. She told me some people asked her to get rid of her accent when giving a speech. I told her there is nothing wrong with her having an accent unless people are not able to understand what she is saying. Her accent is a part of her. Why must she pretend to be someone else?

I believe having an accent is not a problem and it has nothing to do with looking professional. Professionalism is related to your competence and skill in your own line as a professional. There is no need to throw away your accent. It’s a myth.

If you are an American, you should sound like an American. If you are an Australian, of course you should sound like an Australian. If you come from China, it is alright to sound like a Chinese. It doesn’t matter what accent you have; Spanish, Swedish, Scottish, French or English. I am a Malaysian and I sound like one too. And I’m proud of who I am and where I come from. Don’t you?

Myth 5# you need to Follow Established Speaker’s Speaking Style


When I first started public speaking, I loved to watch professional speakers delivered their speech. I used to observe their speaking style and trying to follow them. I started believing if I want to be as good as them, I must speak the way they speak. It sounded logical to me back then.

It took me a while to realise that this is a myth. Each speaker should have their own personal speaking style and I should too. Having a role model or someone who you can look up to in any field is a good thing. You will be inspired and motivated by them. But you need to come up with your own image. People will remember you because of your own speaking style. Nobody else speaks like you. Be unique. Be you.

Myth 6# your speech must be 100% flawless

Some people believe that a great speech must be perfect. They make absolute certain that their speech must be free from all sounds used as a crutch, pause fillers or repeated words. In Toastmasters, they have what they called the “Ah Counter” to check on this while the speakers gave a speech.

I must say, there is some truth in it. I mean if you keep repeating words and say unnecessary words like ‘erm’ and ‘ahh’ when you speak, it may distract your audience and make you look unprepared or unsure of yourself.

However, in reality of public speaking, it is not a big sin unless you do it every time you open your mouth. Some people give speech with a bit of flaws here and there. It is quite alright. Don’t worry about it. Your speech does not have to be flawless. A few reasonable numbers of repeated words do not ruin your speech presentation.

I used to believe a speech must be 100% perfect. I used to get frustrated if my speech did not work as plan. A single word of ‘erms’, ‘ahh’ or ’err’ used in my speech would make me soak the whole day.  It must have been a myth I created myself.

The actual fact is a great speech is about good message and how well you get the message across to your audience. Nothing is perfect. Not you. Not me.

Myths busters concluded…
So that’s it. The myths of public speaking listed for your attention. My suggestion to you is; do not jump into conclusion every time you hear something. Try it out and see for yourself.


Is it a Myth? 




Written by: Intan Salwana Anis
@2017 Public Speaking Is Cool. All Rights Reserved.


Popular posts from this blog

THE POWER OF EMOTIONS IN A SPEECH

THE POWER OF SPEECH

WHAT MAKES GOOD SPEECH CONTENT?